I am not a person who ever feels like an expert on anything so it was difficult to find an entry to edit. Finally I decided to insert myself into an arguement that I have been researching because of a play I have been writing. Bristol Palin, the daughter of Sarah Palin became a spokesperson for abstinence for the Candies Foundation last year. This despite the fact that she is the unwed mother of Tripp Easton Mitchell Johnson. A week before becoming spokesperson for abstinence she did an interview for Fox news where she said that,'abstinence is not realistic.' Later she claimed her 'words were taken out of context. However after watching the interview it's clear she was quoted correctly and in one sentence my wiki edit reflected this. Within an hour my sentence was removed. It is interesting to see how quickly Wikipedia responds to changes.
As a writer I have to say that wikipedia has revolutionized the process. No longer do you have to search the library for books on a particular topic, now you can get your answers instantly. While I know that the information can be inaccurate you can use it as source to quicky find answers to question and then confirm it with another more reputable source and move on.
In my last play Pack of Lies, the Calgary Olympics were an important incident and one day we were wondering where the winter Olympics had been held 4 year previous. A quick wiki search turned up information that it had been in Sarajevo and it also listed how the war that followed had destroyed many of the sites used that year. The wiki entry lead us to a Sports Illustrated article about the home of figure skating, Olympic Hall Zetra, being bombed and used for a morge and the wooden seating used for coffins. I was able to turn it into a beautiful monologue from the perspective of a girl who had been chosen to be a flower girl for the Women's Gold Medal competition in 1984 and her sadness and at what became of their Olympic legacy. It was wiki gold!
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Wikilove
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm so impressed you were able to find such an interesting story through wikipedia! Also, I think some people must have some kind of alert set up for specific wiki articles...and that is how quickly they can remove or change sentences. During the Olympics, Wikipedia seemed to be updated as quickly as the official Olympic site!
ReplyDelete