Thursday, April 15, 2010

Facebook - Friend or Foe?

I have been on facebook for a couple of years now. I can go days without checking it and when I am trying to waste time I can be looking for updates every 30 minutes. I do find facebook invaluable when I have an event to promote. In minutes I can set-up an invite and have it sent off.
I rarely update my status because I don't think it's anyone's business and I can't be bothered to take the time to come up with something witty. There is a group of women who I have added as friends who are always sending each other love and support shout-outs. I like these women but I am not comfortable with public displays of affection and their posts to each other have the effect of making me feel like I am on the outside of their club. When I want to communicate with someone I send them a message rather than post to their wall so the whole world doesn't have to read it. One thing I have noticed is it's very rare that anyone posts in their status updates that they are having a bad day because it has the effect of making people think you are reaching for the razor blades. Everyone posts that they are great!, happy!, loving life! but is this an accurate representation of their lives? It makes me wonder, does facebook make you fake?

No comments:

Post a Comment